I love Twitter. It’s like the New York City of social media. It’s fast-paced. there’s always something happening, and it never sleeps. For any business, Twitter can be vital to your marketing and social media plan. On the flipside, for personal use Twitter can be entertaining and a way for regular people to engage with celebrities and other notable figures. I must admit that it did take some time for Twitter to grow on me, but like New York City, it is home to millions.
Here are the reasons I love Twitter, in no particularly order.
- It makes me a better writer. The 140-character minimum in Twitter posts require tweets to be succinct and clearly stated. When I was taking journalism classes in college, we would do assignments that focused on writing clearly and concisely. Today, I get to practice those skills everyday when I write copy and interact with others on Twitter.
- When I’m asleep, it continues to drive people to my blog. Until recently. I was only interacting on Twitter from about 8 am until 6 pm. It wasn’t until my blog analytics showed that someone from New Zealand visited my blog one night when I was asleep when I decided that my Twitter feed could do a better job of relating to my blog audience overseas. When I wake up each day, I do a quick preliminary glance at my blog stats and I am still amazed that people are so active on the internet when I’m asleep. I think I secretly wish I was up with them.
- It delivers the most recent up-to-date information from a variety of sources. Twitter is my go-source for the latest and greatest news events, and it gives me all sides of a story. I love it for it’s unbiased nature in transmitting important information.
- It is friendly to third-party apps. If you use a third-party app (like a post scheduler) with Facebook, your audience may or may not see the posts. With Twitter, everything is visible to your followers.
- It is the parent company of Periscope. Periscope has taken the social media world by storm in the past six months. If you haven’t heard of it, it is a live video streaming platform for anyone who wants to have a show with a mobile device. Scopes can be as long or as short as you’d like them to be, and it is very interactive for the participants.
Those are the biggest reasons I love Twitter. What are your reasons for loving it?